The past 12 months have brought a whirlwind of changes. 2020 was a year of new rules, new situations, and new normals. Likewise, 2021 is a year of slow, but steady transitioning back to our lives pre-March 2020 and the “new normal”. Some of us are transitioning back to work in the office, whether we have been given a new opportunity or our pre-pandemic occupation has decided to return to the office. Just like we have been mindful of dedicating space at home to work and taking time for self care, we also need to be mindful about returning to the office. What are five ways you can safely and mindfully transition from WFH and back to the office?
- Be Mindful of Your Health – Make sure you take into account the risks of returning to the office and the toll this change can take on your health. With COVID cases on the rise due to recent gatherings, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep, water, and exercise and staying up to date on your check-ups.
- Be Mindful of the Risks – Remaining vigilant of the risks of returning to the office space and signs and symptoms can be your greatest defense against COVID. You can visit the CDC website for guidelines on ways to prevent viral infection, spread, and whether or not you are more at risk.
- Be Mindful of Your Space – Many of us have made it a habit to disinfect everything from groceries to makeup supplies prior to bringing them into your home. The same rules should apply when transitioning into the office. Although masks are a rule, it is important to carry forward the same cleanliness and hyper-hygiene tactics instilled when quarantining at home. Make sure your space is disinfected often to keep you safe and motivated!
- Be Mindful of Your Time – Transitioning slowly may not be an option, but disrupting your routine abruptly can take a toll on your physical and mental state. Try a few days a week at first (if you can) just to dip your toes into the water. This not only limits your exposure while the vaccine is more widely distributed, but aids you in rearranging your schedule and assisting you with getting into a new routine.
- Be Aware of Your New Environment – Get acquainted with your office’s plan to transition from WFH and how this will impact not only you, but the entirety of the company. From the change in technology to the impact that this may have on customers and clients, it is important to inquire about the COVID-19 return plan that your company may have in place so that you can prepare accordingly!
Although we had all been thrown in quarantine in 2020, most of us will not be rushing back to the office anytime soon. Staying mindful of what keeps you comfortable, safe, and unexposed is the key to a smooth transition out of WFH and back to the office.
Authored by Cate Foradori, 2020 PR Committee Chair
Blog post sponsored by Apogee Resources Group LLC